Daily Newspaper for Reeves County, Trans Pecos, Big Bend, Far West Texas
News|Opinion|Home Page|Archives Menu|Classified|Advertising|Monahans|Scores
1997 West of the Pecos Rodeo - Pecos, TX
July 4, 1997
For Day Winners see Results
(results through Thursday nights first performance)
*denotes contestants that competed Thursday night
Second go-round leaders
1. Terry Kitchens, Mullin, TX, 10.0
2/3. Jade Conner, Roanoke, LA10.1
2/3. Stran Smith, Tell, TX, 10.1
4/5. Rope Myers, Athens, TX, 10.2
4/5. Matt Petrus, Sinton, TX, 10.2
6. Neal Felton, Mtn. Home, TX, 10.3
1. Brent Arnold, Coleman, TX, 4.2
2/5. Cody Kenney, Bryan, TX, , 4.3*
2/5. Mark Belcher, Santa Fe, TX, 4.3
2/5. Kitt Woody, Cleburne, TX, 4.3
2/5. Byron Walker, Ennis, TX, 4.3
6/7. Brian Bauerle, Austin, TX, 4.5
6/7. Jason Harper, Palmer, TX, 4.5
1. Rowdy Rieken, Arp, TX
Cuatro Hindes, Charlotte, TX, 7.1*
2. Stormy Pruitt, Fort Davis, TX
Zane Bowers, Llano, TX, 7.2
3. Breck Bean, Ft. Hancock, TX
Cody Guess, Colorado City, TX, 8.0
4. Chad Saunders, Greenbrier, AR,
Shawn Harris, Conway, AR, 8.1
5. Bret Boatright, Mulhall, OK
Kory Koontz, Sudan, TX, 8.2*
6. Chris Lawson, Collinsville, OK
Mickey Gomez, Salado, TX, 8.5
1. Jerry Cox, Cotulla, TX, 10.9
2. Trevor Brazile, Decatur, TX, 11.0
3. Buster Record, Buffalo, OK, 12.4
4. J.D. Yates, Pueblo, CO, 12.6
5. J.P. Wickett, Sallisaw, OK, 12.8
6/7. Jackie Gillespie, Andrews, TX, 13.2
6/7. Johnny Miller, Electra, TX, 13.2
Average leaders on two runs
(top 12 qualify for finals on Saturday night)
1. Stran Smith, Tell, TX, 19.1
2. Johnny Grimes, Kerrville, TX, 20.3
3. Doug Clark, Wayne, OK, 20.9
4. Kaid New, San Antonio, TX, 21.2
5. Mark Ivy, Mtn. Home, TX, 21.6
6. Clay Cerny, Eagle Lake, TX, 22.3
1. Cody Kenney, Bryan, TX, 9.0*
2. Byron Walker, Ennis, TX, 9.1
3. Jason Harper, Palmer, TX, 9.2
4. Kitt Woody, Cleburne, TX, 9.5
5. Rope Myers, Athens, TX, 9.7
STEER WRESTLING average
6/7. Brian Bauerle, Austin, TX, 9.8
6/7. Houston Powers, Sonora, , TX, 9.8
1. Breck Bean, Ft. Hancock, TX, 14.8
Cody GuessColorado City, TX
(fastest two run time, previous best Jake Barnes & Clay OBrien Cooper in 1992)
2. Charles Pogue,Ringling, OK
Britt Bockius, Claremore, OK, 17.6
3. Johnnie Philipp, Washington, TX,
John Philipp, Washington, TX, 17.8
4. J.D. Yates, Pueblo, CO
Jay Wadhams, Pueblo, CO, 17.9
5. Chuck Doebbler, George West, TX
Colton Niemann, Woodsboro, TX, 19.0
6. Stormy Pruitt, Fort Davis, TX
Zane Bowers, Llano, TX, 20.2
7. Bret Boatright, Mulhall, OK
Kory Koontz, Sudan, TX, 21.9*
1. Jerry Cox, Cottula, TX, 22.7
(fastest two run time, previous best Arnold Felts 24.1 -1996)
2. Buster Record, Buffalo, OK, 24.0
3. Trevor Brazile, Decatur, TX, 24.3
4. Jim Davis, Abilene, TX, 25.1*
5. J.D. Yates, Pueblo, CO, 26.1
6. Guy Allen, Lovington, NM, 26.2
Event leaders in the one go-round events
1. Chad Klein, Jackson, LA, 81*, No Satisfaction
2/3. Chuck Logue, Decatur, TX, 80*, Little Sister
2/3. Jon Brockway, Ft. Worth, TX, 80*, Addicted to Love
4/5. Larry Sandvick, Kaycee, WY, 79, Foot Loose
4/5. Kirk Richard, Sulphur, LA, 79, Skoal After Midnight
6/7. Beau Mayo, Stephenville, TX, 76*, Low Rider
6/7. Dusty McCollister, Acworth, GA, 76,Rose Garden
SADDLE BRONC RIDING
1/2. Scott Johnston, Eagle Butte, SD, 77*, Jenny Jenny
1/2. Tom Reeves, Eagle Butte, SD, 77*, Shake It Up
3. Rod Hay, Wildwood, Alb., 76, Powerful Stuff
4. Jim Blaine Kenney, Carlsbad, NM, 74*, Hanky Panky
5. Red Lemmel, Mud Butte, SD, 73, Jeremiah
6/7. Mike Coon, Stephenville, TX, 71*, Good Vibrations
6/7. Dan Mortensen, Manhattan, MT, 71, American Pie
1. Tuff Hedeman, Morgan Mill, TX, 87, The Warrior
2. Cory Crye, Coleman, TX, 86*, Funky Town
3/4. Buddy Reed, Rolena, TX, 84, Bad to the Bone
3/4. Lonnie Steverson, New Hebron, MS, 84, Skoal Cadillac
5. Aaron Semas, Auburn, CA, 82, Superstitious
6/7. Erik Bortnem, Brookins, SD, 81, Devil Inside
6/7. Jeremy Taylor, Chelsea, OK, 81, Louie Louie
sp8. Francis Wilson, Sidney, NE, 80, Skoals Strokin
sp8. Lane Bosley, Kilgore, TX, 80*, Jump
1. Kim Squires, Carnegie, OK, 17.76
2. Cheyenne Wimberly, Stephenville, TX, 17.81
3/4. Bridgett Thomas, Combine, TX, 17.89
3/4. Stacey Brent,LaPorte, TX,17.89
5. Carissa Allred,Stephenville, TX,17.90
6. Deb Sibley,Carlsbad, NM,17.92
7. Tara Taffner,Stephenville, TX,17.93*
8. Sue Miller,Lott, TX,17.94
Following will be some of the contestants to watch for during the third and fourth performances
Please note that for Fridays 3rd performance there is a match up of Brian Herman and the same bull that he rode to win the championship at Pecos in 1994.
Third Performance match ups
Wayne HermanDickinson, ND1992 world champion, finished 1996 in ninth place, has drawn national finals rodeo horse Rose Garden. In 1992 Ken Lensegrav tied for the arena record at the West of the Pecos rodeo on this horse scoring 87 points.
Matt Burch,Gillette, WY,currently tied for second in the Mountain States Circuit has drawn national finals rodeo horse Skoals Celebration that Marvin Garrett rodeo in 1994 to win the West of the Pecos rodeo.
Jeff Miller, Lance Creek, WY,has drawn national finals rodeo horse national finals horse Rockin Robin.
Travis Johnson, Albuquerque, NM, has drawn Bad Company Rodeos national finals horse Cant Touch This. Bob Logue won the West of the Pecos rodeo in 1993 on same.
- SADDLE BRONC RIDING
- Johnny Pollock, Dublin, TX, currently 14th in the Crown Royal world standings, has
drawn national finals horse Maria, the highest selling horse three years ago at the NFR bucking horse sale, Philip Haugen won second on this horse here last year.
- Charles Soileau, Stephenville, TX,currently 25th in the world, has drawn national finals
- Johnny Hammack, Redmond, OR, runner up for Rookie of the Year, has drawn national
finals horse Copenhagen Vogue, 1996 Texas horse of the year.
- Cole Hardin, San Angelo, TX, currently third in the Texas circuit, has drawn Hanky Panky.
- BULL RIDING
- Brian Herman, Victoria, TX, re-match of champions, has drawn the same bull he scored 87
points on to win the 1994 West of the Pecos Rodeo, national finals bull Superstitious. Last week he won $17,000 at Reno, NV to jump to 7th in the world.
- Bo Boren, Belton, TX, has drawn national finals rodeo bull Love Shack.
- Andy Thomas, Window Rock, AZ, has drawn national finals bull Skoal Cadillac. Lonnie
Steveson scored 84points on this bull Wednesday night.
- Ariel Morales, Eagle Pass, TX, has drawn national finals bull Achey Breaky Heart.
- Shawn MacDonald, Weatherford, TX, has drawn national finals bull Crockadile Rock, the bull
Michael Gaffney tied the arenal record of 88 points on at the 1996 West of the Pecos rodeo.
- TEAM ROPING
- Steve Purcella, Hereford, TX & Steve Northcott, Odessa Tx, the current reigning world
champions, and just last week re-claimed the world lead, they were fifth in the first go-round at 7.6 seconds.
- STEER WRESTLING
- Chuck Hammonds, Smithfield, TX, tied for fifth in the first go-round at 4.7 seconds.
- Jim C. Smith,Del Rio, TX, 1991 West of the Pecos All Around Cowboy, was sixth here
- CALF ROPING
- Brent Lewis, Pinon, NM, currently seventh in the world, was the 1991 Pecos champion.
- STEER ROPING
- Mack Altizer, Del Rio, TX, Bad Company Rodeo, was third in the first go-round at 11.4
- BARREL RACING
- Trula Truitt, Mounds, OK, 1996 Rookie of the Year
- Kathy Altizer, Del Rio, TX, has placed at the West of the Pecos rodeo each of the last two
- Fourth performance match-ups for Saturday night
- BAREBACK RIDING
- Shawn Minor, Gordon, NE, currently 22nd in the Crown Royal world standings, won a go-
round at 87 points at the recently completed College National Finals Rodeo, has drawn what Mack Altizer considers to be one of Bad Company Rodeos best horses called YMCA that qualified for the 1996 national finals.
- Jason Freeman, Snyder, TX, has drawn Bad Company Rodeos national finals
rodeo horse No Satisfaction, the horse that Marvin Garrett won the 1996 West of the Pecosrodeo on and the horse Chad Klein rode Thursday night.
- Jeff King, Clarendon, TX. Jeff shared the West of the Pecos rodeo championship
in 1995. He has drawn Foot loose, a horse that came from the national finals rodeo and that Larry Sandvick scored 79 points on Wednesday night.
- Bill Brown Jr., Midland, TX, has drawn Skoal After Midnight. This horse was placed on
twice at the 1996 National Finals Rodeo. Chris Harris tied for second in Pecos lastyear and Kirk Richard was 79 points Wednesday night.
- SADDLE BRONC RIDING
- Jason Milam, Cleburne, TX, former Texas High School champion, tied for 4th at the West of
the Pecos Rodeo last year, has drawn Copenhagen Smoke
- Billy Etbauer, Ree Heights, SD, 1992 and 1996 world champion and 1992 West of the
Pecos champion has drawn Jeremiah, the horse Red Lemmel scored 73 points on Wednesday.
- Robert Etbauer, Goodwell, OK, 1990 and 1991 world champion has drawn
Shake It Up, the horse Tom Reeves scored 77 points on Thursday night.
- T.J. Kenney, Pecos, TX, current leader of the Bad Company Rodeo Leader of the
Pack tour, has placed at the West of the Pecos Rodeo three times in the past six years.
- Craig Latham, Tehmoma, OK, 1994 and 1996 West of the Pecos Rodeo champion
has drawn Good Vibrations.
- Mike Galpin, Rogers, AR, current leader in the Southeastern Circuit and the
Copenhagen/Skoal ProRodeo Awards, has drawn Jenny Jenny, the horse Craig Latham won on in 1996 and the horse Scott Johnston scored 77 points on Thursday.
- BULL RIDING
- Scott Mendes, Weatherford, TX, 1996 Original Coors Rodeo Showdown finals
champion, finished 13th in the world in 1996, has drawn The Warrior, the bull Tuff Hedeman scored 87 points on Tuesday.
- John Davis, Marion, IL, has drawn Locomotion, the bull Troy Dunn finished third on at
the 1996 West of the Pecos Rodeo.
- Scott Breding, Edgar, MT, finished 14th in the final 1996 Crown Royal world standings,
currently 2nd in the Original Coors Chute Out standings, has drawn Magic.
- Mark Cain, Atoka, OK, currently 15th in the Crown Royal world standings, has drawn
- Clint Branger, Roscoe, MT, currently sixth in the Crown Royal world standings, has drawn
Jail Break. This bull disqualified eventual 1996 world champion Terry Don West lastyear at the West of the Pecos Rodeo.
WILD HORSE RACE
Thursday: Jay Fowlkes, Casey Stewart, Jason Owen
WILD COW MILKING
Wednesday: Ruben Carrasco, Trevor Teague
Thursday: 1. Moy Castillo, Ryan Steig
2. Pat Yeager, Lance Knowles
The third performance of the 115Th annual West of the Pecos Rodeo is Friday night at 8:30 pm
and will continue through Saturday night. This year is one of the largest ever with 706 contestants entered from 27 states, Australia, and Canada. They are competing for a record pay off of over $210,000. The largest individual event is the bull riding where 150 contestants will challenge the Bad Company Rodeo Company bulls, which include the Dirty Dozen professional rodeos highest marked and most athletic herd of bulls. Among this years contestants there are 80 world championships represented and 78 contestants that are currently among the top 15 in the world for their respective events. Thank you very much, any help you can give in promoting the 1997 West of the Pecos rodeo is
greatly appreciated.Results will follow each performance. For more information please contact Curt Robinson at
State and Regional Sports Pages--San Angelo Standard-Times
Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall
not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or
redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium. Neither these AP
Materials nor any portion thereof may be stored in a computer except for
personal and non-commercial use. The AP will not be held liable for
any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions therefrom or in the
transmission or delivery of all or any part thereof or for any damages
arising from any of the foregoing.
Copyright 1997 by Pecos Enterprise
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.
324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321
Return to Sports Menu
Return to Home Page