Daily Newspaper for Reeves County, Trans Pecos, Big Bend, Far West Texas

Sports|Opinion|Main Menu|Archives Menu|Classified|Advertising|Monahans|


Thursday, March 6, 1997

Protests over PHS dress code down today

Return to top
Staff Writer

PECOS, March 6, 1997 - "Slowly, but surely," things are calming down at
Pecos High School, in the third day of protests by students who hold
strong feelings against last week's revisions to the school district's
dress code.

The Pecos-Barstow-Toyah ISD Board of Education passed the revisions to
the original dress code, which was included in the student handbook at
the beginning of the year, during their Feb. 27 meeting. The changes
affected only high school students.

On Tuesday and Wednesday some 30 students were placed in the auditorium
for dress code violations. school officials said today that number has
been cut back by almost 50 percent.

Pecos High School Principal Alice Duerksen said parents of students who
are being placed in On Campus Suspension (OCS) for not abiding by the
new dress code are being contacted.

"They have been very helpful and supportive...I appreciate that," she

The high school principal said some of the students protesting this
morning are the same as those placed in OCS the past two days.

"We're especially working with students," who have been placed for the
first time, Duerksen said. Officials are giving them the choice to
comply by the code, contact their parents or go to OCS.

Among the dress code revisions passed last week, students were
particularly upset about having to tuck in their shirts.

A "three-inch rule" was also approved. It required students to wear
shorts, skirts and dresses no shorter than three inches above the middle
of the knee.

Other changes requiring pants, jeans, shorts and skirts be worn at the
natural waistline. Cheerleaders were prohibited from wearing their short
skirts or uniforms to classes and told instead to wear warm up suits
over their uniforms.

Although a ban on hats and caps being worn in the building was already
included in the original dress code, the new rules stated that headgear
will be confiscated for six weeks if a violation occurs.

Also, no black, metallic or dark shades of lipstick or nail polish will
be worn under the new dress code, and grooming paraphernalia will not be
tolerated and confiscated if seen in the classroom.

High school teachers met after school Wednesday to clear up any
questions, such as, "what (polish or lipstick) is considered too dark,"
said Duerksen. She added that the shirt tucking issue is the most

The principal added that some students are taking advantage of the
situation by "picking and choosing" which classes they want to attend
and pulling their shirttails out for those they don't.

"I think everybody is feeling better," about the changes, said Duerksen.
"The teachers are really working with us."

"I admit it does need some clarification," she said of the code changes,
"but we're sticking with this one."

The new rules came following an investigation, ordered by the school
board, into allegations of a disciplinary problem at Pecos High School.

Duerksen explained Wednesday that a committee of eight teachers was
formed to rethink the original dress code and a proposal was made to the
superintendent before being presented to trustees. Board members did not
contribute to the revision proposal that was brought before them.

A story in Wednesday's Enterprise incorrectly stated that
board members were involved in plans to modify the dress code.

Both students and parents have questioned why they were not made aware
of the possible changes prior to the Feb. 27 board meeting.

Two front war

McLaren rejects surrendering to Bailey,

is impeached by other Republic members

Return to top
Staff Writer

PECOS, March 6, 1997 - Paper wads are the only ammunition fired so far
in the war between the states - the state of Texas and the "Republic of

Jeff Davis County Sheriff Steve Bailey and Rick McLaren, the Republic's
"ambassador," have exchanged faxes over a warrant for McLaren's arrest
for failure to appear in state court on a burglary charge.

In addition to his fax machine, McLaren has created his own Home Page on
the Internet, which he calls the Embassy Web Site.

Through that web site, the "ambassador" has sent an emergency notice
that four officers of the Republic have removed themselves from office
through unlawful and "potentially treasonous" acts.

But impeachment charges were brought against McLaren on Sunday, said
Robert William Kesterson, who posted his Republic of Texas Internet page

Since being notified of the charges, "Mr. McLaren has apparently gone
ballastic (sic), saying the entire Council has voluntarily vacated their
offices (except, of course, for himself and those who support him
without question)," Kesterson said.

McLaren called the council gutless cowards, Kesterson said.

"Good people of Texas, I am fed up. I have had all I can stomach of this
man's unlawful actions and the blindness of those who follow him. This
pied piper plays, and people dance. It's absurd, it's disheartening,
it's discouraging, and it angers me greatly," Kesterson said.

"...I and others on the Council are at the end of our ropes. I have
teetered on the verge of resignation for several weeks. I will not be a
party to a McLaren cult masquerading as government!" he said.

McLaren said he is working with the acting president to call an election
to fill the "vacated" offices and to continue with plans to take over
all of Texas.

"Due to the inaction of those who ostensibly vowed to assist in bringing
our nation to convention, we must now move as fast as possible by
continuing to use the paper weapons at our disposal to fully regain the
soil and deadlock the enemy before they use their violent weapons in
their determination to prevent the peaceful overthrow of the One World
Government that is stealthily strangling our people and forging the
chains of slavery," McLaren wrote in an open letter to the People of the
nation of Texas on Independence Day this past Sunday (March 2).

"We continue to seek a nonviolent victory, but we must be prepared and
be willing to face the enemy by whatever method necessary," he said.

Meanwhile, Bailey said he would serve the arrest warrant as soon as he
can while still trying to cooperate with federal authorities and the
FBI. No action had been taken at noon today.

McLaren has received worldwide media attention for his stand with armed
militia guards at ROT's Davis Mountains "embassy," a travel trailer and
wooden lean-to that McLaren and his wife live in.

Bealls' owner buys C.R. Anthony's

Return to top
From Staff and Wire Reports

PECOS, March 6, 1997 - The future of Pecos' C.R. Anthony's store, and
others across West Texas, will be determined over the next several
weeks, after its parent C.R. Anthony Co. agreed on Wednesday to become
part of Houston-based Stage Stores Inc.

Oklahoma City-based Anthony's will end its 75-year corporate presence in
that state as a result of the the $93 million deal with Stage Stores,
which currently operates West Texas stores in Midland and Odessa under
the Bealls name.

``In evaluating a number of strategic alternatives, the management and
board of directors of C.R. Anthony concluded that a combination with
Stage Stores offers the best opportunity to build value for all of
Anthony's shareholders, employees and customers,'' Jack Wiesner,
chairman and chief executive officer of Anthony's, said in a statement.

The companies expect to close the deal sometime in June or July, if
regulators and both companies' stockholders approve, McCreery said.

After the merger, Stage will have 550 stores in 23 southwestern and
central U.S. cities and towns pulling in more than $1 billion in sales.

Over time, most Anthony's stores will be rebranded under Stage Stores'
Stage or Bealls trade names.

The companies did not mention any planned store closings in its
statement, or which stores would receive the Bealls or Stage Store
names. Calls to C.R. Anthony's headquarters in Oklahoma City, Stage
Stores in Houston, and to a company's spokesperson in New York were not
returned as of noon today.

Anthony has nearly 200 corporate employees and about 75 workers at an
Oklahoma City distribution center. They may be transferred or offered
jobs in stores or elsewhere, said Michael E. McCreery, Anthony's vice
chairman and chief administrative officer.

``Over time, it's envisioned that the company's corporate headquarters
and distribution center would be assimilated'' into Stage Stores, he

No timetable has been set for discontinuing local corporate and
distribution operations, and no decisions have been made about layoffs,
McCreery said.

C.R. Anthony was founded in 1922 and has 224 stores in 13 southwestern
and Rocky Mountain states.

`Street' burrito sales result in warning, fine

Return to top
Staff Writer

PECOS, March 6, 1997 - Burritos sold on the street may make you sick,
said Armando Gil, city-county health inspector.

And the seller may get a little sick if he or she has no permit to make
and sell food, Gil said.

One such vendor paid a $327 fine in Pecos Municipal Court Wednesday.
Josie Rayos, 714 S. Hackberry, pleaded guilty to operating a food
service without a permit.

Gil said he arrested Rayos at Pecos Municipal Airport, where she had
eight ziplock bags of warm meat burritos spread on the counter. Not only
did Rayos not have a permit to make burritos in her home, she failed to
keep the burritos at the required 145-degree temperature and had no
labels on the packages.

Although he only charged Rayos with operating without a permit, the fine
was large because she had twice before been arrested, Gil said.

The first time, Sept. 1, 1989, Gil gave her a written warning, which she
acknowledged with her signature.

Then on April 5, 1991, she paid a $150 fine for operating a food service
without a permit.

"We have received several reports in the past, but I hadn't been able to
catch her," Gil said. "She had been selling at several locations
throughout the city."

Military personnel traveling in helicopters were at the airport when Gil
seized the 96 burritos and arrested Rayos, he said.

In order to obtain a permit, a vendor must have the city-county health
department inspect the premises where food will be prepared, Gil said.

"We have two businesses permitted as vendors and licensed to sell
burritos," he said. Those vendors are Madrid's Catering and the Silver
Rose, operated by Rosa Ramirez.

"Both have built a building away from the home," Gil said. "I make
periodic inspections the same as for any food establishment. They have
the same requirements as any other restaurant - no exceptions."

Food-borne illness usually takes 36-48 hours to incubate, making it
difficult to trace the source. Many people who become ill from eating
contaminated food may think they have flu or a virus, he said.

Anyone who sees a food vendor who cannot display a permit should contact
Gil at the city-county health department, 445-9656.


Return to top

Ione Morelan

Services are incomplete for Ione Morelan, 88, who died Wednesday night,
March 5, at Reeves County Hospital.
Pecos Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.


Return to top
Pecos-Barstow-Toyah ISD Board President Linda Gholson said Wednesday
that trustees were not involved in any of the plans to change
the dress code and were only presented the proposed revisions at last
week's board meeting.
The word not was inadvertently left out in Wednesday's Enterprise.

We apologize for the error.


Return to top

The Fort Stockton Pioneer

FORT STOCKTON, Mar. 6, 1997 - J. Franklin Urias has declared his
candidacy for mayor of Fort Stockton. The lifetime Fort Stockton
resident and lawyer said he wants to represent, protect and provide for
the people. Mayor Joe Shuster is not seeking re-election.

Jeff Davis County Mountain Dispatch

FORT DAVIS, Mar. 6, 1997 - Rep. Pete Gallego has been working on a bill
that would allow some ordinance making powers for county commissioners.
Copies of the rough draft has been distributed in Fort Davis. The
proposed bill would create what appears to be a tough zoning and
planning system that would be run by commissioners or a board appointed
by the court. The size of the district would be everything in Fort Davis
and beyond since the bill calls for everything within five miles of the
courthouse to be in the district.

The Big Bend Sentinel

MARFA, Mar. 6, 1997 - The Texas House of Representatives appropriations
committee last week voted not to fund the state agency seeking a license
to build and operate a radioactive waste disposal site near Sierra
Blanca. "This is one of the most successful days I've had in the Texas
Legislature," said four-term state Rep. Pete Gallego, D-Alpine, an
appropriations committee member who helped orchestrate the "zero
funding" of the Texas Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Authority.

The Alpine Avalanche

ALPINE, Mar. 6, 1997 - Big Bend National Park Superintendent Jose
Cisneros said entries are being accepted for the annual Arts for the
Parks competition. The competition honors the artists of the top 100
paintings that best capture the spirit of our National Park Service
system. More than $82,000 in prizes will be awarded in the 1997

The International, Presidio Paper

PRESIDIO, Mar. 6, 1997 - The Fort Davis State Bank will apply to state
and federal banking agencies to open branch banks in Presidio and
Alpine. "We think the need is there and we believe we can be of better
service to the area," bank president John Fitzgerald said Tuesday. Last
year, the Fort Davis bank placed an automatic teller machine at one
location each in Presidio, Alpine, Marfa and Study Butte.

The Sul Ross Skyline

ALPINE, Mar. 6, 1997 - A "walk-up" shooting at the Highland Apartments
Feb. 23 resulted in the arrest of four Sul Ross students and one
juvenile, said Johnnie Holbrooks, director of the University Department
of Public Safety. Matthew Niemeyer, 19, and Jesus Ramirez, 18, were
charged with deadly conduct. Harold Jefferson, 22, was charged with
tampering with physical evidence. A male juvenile was turned over to
juvenile authorities. Noland Harper, 20, was arrested and charged Feb.
25 with theft of a firearm in the incident. Shots were fired into at
least five different apartments. There were no injuries.

Van Horn Advocate

Members of the Van Horn City Council unanimously declared street
improvements as the Number 1 priority for any grant applications which
might be submitted. The declaration came following a public hearing to
gather input regarding grants and community needs. They recently
completed two grant projects, a $607,000 water improvement project and a
community planning project.

The Monahans News

MONAHANS, Mar. 6, 1997 - Spring rains this year and last autumn's
moisture combine to bring hope to Ward County rangeland, says County
Agent Andy Stewart. "Things are looking better, but don't hold your
breath just yet," Stewart said. The major impact of the dry weather is
on cow-calf production which, Stewart notes, is a major economic force
in Ward County, perhaps the major force because of the slumping Oil
Patch. There are 11 ranches in the county grossing about $3 million a


Return to top
High Wednesday 62, low last night 32. Tonight, fair. Low 35-40. South to
southeast wind 5-15 mph. Friday, partly cloudy. High 70-75. South wind
5-15 mph.
Return to top

Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall
not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or
redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium. Neither these AP
Materials nor any portion thereof may be stored in a computer except for
personal and non-commercial use. The AP will not be held liable for
any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions therefrom or in the
transmission or delivery of all or any part thereof or for any damages
arising from any of the foregoing.

Copyright 1997 by Pecos Enterprise
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.
324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321
Return to Menu

Return to Home Page