News|Opinion|Home Page|Archives Menu|Classified|Advertising|Monahans|
The Eagles had been scheduled to face the Steers in varsity and junior
varsity games at 6 and 7:30 p.m. But school officials said just after
11:30 a.m. the games were canceled due to potentially icy road
conditions on Interstate 20 tonight. The games will likely be made up
either Thursday or Saturday.
It's the second postponement in eight days for the Eagles. Pecos' boys
lost their District 4-4A basketball opener last Thursday to Andrews, and
the girls also were beaten by the Mustangs in games delayed two days by
last Tuesday's snow and ice storm.
Big Spring did play at home that night, against Sweetwater, and Sadler,
Hall and athletic director Mike Belew went over to scout the games. They
made it there safely, and almost all the way back as well, but hit a
patch of ice on Interstate 20 just outside of Pecos and crashed, leaving
Sadler bruised and Hall with a shoulder injury.
The injuries to the coaches were the latest in a series of problems the
Eagles have suffered since the first of the year, and today's delay may
give two of their starters some extra time to heal.
Hall lost post Jennifer Barrera for the season on Wednesday, when she
fractured her shoulder, and post Lori Marquez then aggravated a knee
injury early in Friday's 54-49 loss to San Angelo Lake View.
"She's got a bursis sac that she first hurt in volleyball," Hall said
following the game. "Tonight she slipped in the first quarter and
aggravated it again."
Marquez still scored 22 points, but the Eagles were never able to take
the lead against the Maidens, and fell to 1-3 in district, 6-11 overall.
Pecos' boys were able to rally from 17 points down Friday to beat Lake
View, 75-71, despite playing without starter Jason Abila, who injured
his shin in the previous night's loss to Andrews. It came after the
Eagles lost guard Nufie Flores on Jan. 3 with a broken leg.
Abila was on crutches after Thursday's game, but was healthy enough to
work out Saturday and Monday and should be back in the lineup later this
Nina Shahravan, 23, of Mesquite could face a maximum of six months in
jail and a $2,000 fine for the misdemeanor offense.
Police said they completed paperwork on the charge on Monday but did not
file because inclement weather left the Dallas County district
attorney's office short-staffed.
``It will be done Tuesday, weather permitting,'' Dallas police Sgt. Jim
The district attorney's office had not received the paperwork as of this
morning, a clerk said.
Ms. Shahravan told police that Williams and another man had raped her
while Irvin held a gun to her head at Williams' Far North Dallas home on
Dec. 29. Police acknowledged the charge at a Dec. 31 press conference
and named the two players as suspects.
Police announced Friday that they found no evidence that a sexual
assault took place and that Ms. Shahravan recanted when confronted with
A police offense report released Monday lists the city of Dallas as the
victim of a ``false report to police'' on Dec. 30, the day Ms. Shahravan
reported the alleged incident.
A man who answered the telephone at her parents' home today said Ms.
Shahravan was not there. Ms. Shahravan has been in hiding since she made
the initial report.
Police Chief Ben Click said he was disappointed that Ms. Shahravan
invented the charge.
``It does make me angry that someone would do this, especially for the
folks who were accused,'' he said. ``It has caused us a tremendous
amount of work. If nothing else, this has been extremely expensive to
the public, and we could have been investigating a real crime.''
Click did not speculate on her motives.
``There's a whole variety of reasons people do these things, but I don't
want to speculate because we are still investigating the matter,'' he
After police cleared Williams and Irvin, their attorneys said they were
considering legal action, possibly against the city or Ms. Shahravan.
State Sen. Royce West, Irvin's attorney, praised the decision to charge
``I'm glad they have not wasted any time in filing the charge against
her,'' West said. ``People should recognize what she's done, not only in
ruining reputations, but also setting back the cause of sexual assault
Return to top
State and Regional Sports Pages--San Angelo Standard-Times
Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall
not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or
redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium. Neither these AP
Materials nor any portion thereof may be stored in a computer except for
personal and non-commercial use. The AP will not be held liable for
any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions therefrom or in the
transmission or delivery of all or any part thereof or for any damages
arising from any of the foregoing.
Copyright 1997 by Pecos Enterprise
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.
324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321
Return to Sports Menu
Return to Home Page