Daily Newspaper and Travel Guide
for Pecos Country of West Texas
Tuesday, November 30, 1999
Eagles' cagers in Crane for doubleheader
PECOS, Nov. 30, 1999 -- The Pecos Eagles basketball teams will both be
hitting the road today, instead of staying at home, and both will be hoping
to pick up their first victories of the season tonight in Crane against
the Golden Cranes.
The boys, who at first weren't scheduled to play at all tonight, then
were set to host Crane, will try for their first win in four starts when
they face the Golden Cranes starting at 7:30 p.m. The girls, who were supposed
to play in Crane at 7:30 p.m., will start their varsity match-up at 6 p.m.
instead, with the junior varsity playing at 7:30 p.m. in Crane's old gym,
following the boys' JV match-up.
Both freshmen teams will also play in Crane today, starting at 4:30
Along with seeking their first victories, both Eagle teams will be trying
to improve on their shooting from Saturday's game. The boys shot just 28
percent in their 100-33 loss to Odessa High, while Pecos' girls hit only
11 percent of their shots in falling to Andrews, 77-28.
Coach Tino Acosta said that because the Cranes are still involved in
the Class 3A football playoffs, "Their best players are still in football."
However, he added that even with a shorthanded lineup, Crane beat McCamey
in their only game so far this season.
Pecos has lost to Odessa High twice and to Monahans, while the girls
have suffered all four of their losses at home, to Alpine, Stanton, Fort
Stockton and Andrews.
"Our field goal percentage is way down. We need to start shooting better
from the outside," said coach Brian Williams. None of the Eagle players
is shooting better than 35 percent from the field through the first two
weeks of the season.
Unlike the boys, Crane's girls have played a regular schedule, winning
three of their first four games, including a 70-51 win over Iraan last
Rose threatens lawsuit to gain reinstatement
By RONALD BLUM
AP Sports Writer
NEW YORK, Nov. 30, 1999 - Pushing baseball to end his lifetime ban,
Pete Rose is launching an Internet petition and might sue the sport to
get the ban lifted.
"You can't keep a guy from making a living," he said Monday in an interview
with The Associated Press. "It's not the American way."
Following an investigation of his gambling, baseball's career hits leader
agreed in August 1989 to a lifetime ban from the sport. He applied for
reinstatement in September 1997, and while commissioner Bud Selig has said
several times that he has seen no evidence that would make him change the
ban, he hasn't formally responded to Rose.
"If you find in your heart you didn't want to give me reinstatement,
just write back and say, `No,"' Rose said. "I know he has stationery. I
know the mail is delivered in Milwaukee."
In an interview with Bryant Gumbel on CBS' The Early Show today, Rose
said he believes Selig would change his mind once he hears Rose's case.
"This is the beginning," Rose said. "It's dialogue. I think when we
show him what what we show him, he may have a change of heart."
Rose will get a chance to make his case early next year when his lawyer
Roger Makley meets with Bob Dupuy, baseball's executive vice president
for administration. According to a report today in USA Today, Dupuy will
then review Rose's case and decide the next step, possibly leading to a
meeting with Selig.
Rose claimed baseball's lawyers "blackmailed" witnesses against him
during its investigation 10 years ago. When pressed for details Monday,
he referred comment to Makley. Those who led the investigation at the time,
Fay Vincent and John Dowd, denied Rose's accusation.
Rose was in New York for today's launch of sportcut.com., which through
Jan. 15 will contain a fan petition calling for Rose's admission to the
Hall of Fame. As long as he's banned from baseball for life, Rose is ineligible
for the Hall.
"One thing you have to understand is we're not looking for a fight,"
Rose said. "If that has to be an option, that will be an option. That's
a last resort. I don't need it. The game doesn't need it."
While baseball's rules allowed Rose to apply to reinstatement after
one year, he's waited eight. He didn't want to apply while Vincent was
commissioner - Vincent headed the Rose investigation as deputy to commissioner
A. Bartlett Giamatti and hired Dowd, who compiled the report on Rose's
"Fay Vincent wasn't going to give me a chance," Rose said. "I have no
respect for John Dowd. He didn't do an impartial investigation. We're sick
and tired of him going on the air and talking about all this evidence he
Rose also is angry Dowd put his report on the Internet.
"How much is he making on the Dowd report?" Rose said. "If I died tomorrow,
we wouldn't hear about John Dowd again until the day he died."
"We did it to educate the public, and we did it solely at the firm's
expense," Dowd said. "We never charged anyone a dime."
The document Rose signed says, "Nothing in this agreement shall be deemed
either an admission or a denial by Peter Edward Rose of the allegation
that he bet on any major league baseball game" but it also says, "Peter
Edward Rose acknowledges that the commissioner has a factual basis to impose
the penalty provided herein, and hereby accepts the penalty imposed on
him by the commissioner and agrees not to challenge that penalty in court
York M. "Smokey" Briggs, Publisher
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.
324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321
Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.
Copyright 1999 by Pecos Enterprise