Colored Rock Map of Texas at I-20 in Pecos, Click for Travel Guide

Pecos Enterprise


Archive 62
Archive 74
Pecos Country History
Archive 87
1987 Tornado Photos
Rodeo Photos 88
Archive 95
Archive 96
Archive 97
News Photos 1997
Rodeo Photos 97
Archive 98
News Photos 1998
Rodeo Photos 98
Parade Photos 98
Archive 99
Photos 99

Area Newspapers


Daily Newspaper and Travel Guide
for Pecos Country of West Texas


Monday, April 19, 1999

Study club tours Scarborough-Linebery House

The Modern Study Club traveled to Midland on Saturday, March 31, for a Field Trip organized under the Texas Heritage Department with Laura Teal, department chairman, in charge.

Thought-quote for the program was, "On the face of a house, you see its architecture. But once inside, you learn about the people who lived there. You compare life then to life now." Jim Steely, Texas Historical Commission.

Club members and guests met at the Scarborough-Linebery House, located at 802 South Main St., in Midland to tour the home and enjoy a lovely lunch together. Miss BeaLea Somerville welcomed everyone and introduced Francis Stapp, Curator. Miss Somerville told that the house was built in 1907 by Mr. and Mrs. William Scarborough for their family. The family had five chidren but the oldest daughter was married before the family moved into the house in town. Three of their girls and their son moved to Midland from the Dawson County Ranch and the Frying Pan Ranch, in the Kermit area.

Miss Evelyn Scarborough was put in charge of running the family business after her graduation from college because she was deemed the educated one, according to her father, one source indicated. She met Mr. Linebery in 1929 and they were married in 1933. They now reside on the Frying Pan Ranch.

The house is furnished very much like the Linebery's left it when they gave it to the City of Midland, for Historic Preservation adn the enjoyment of people who enjoy History and Heritage. The five bedroom, six bathroom house contains the family's antique furniture, art and mementoes collected during the years they lived there. The second story of the house was added in 1927 and the house was redone in 1951 but maintains the gracious style of the 1900's. The home contains two complete suites besides the couple's living quarters.

Following the tour the Garden Room was the sight for lunch catered by Hazel Somerville. The menu consisted of chicken breast over rice, green/beans/water chestnut casserole, tossed salad, mango sherbet with lemon pound cake, homemade dinner rolls, fresh rasberry tea and pecan nut coffee.

Members and guests attending were: Mary Barfield, Wes and Lena Harpham, Juracy McCall, Doris Moorman, Joyce Morton, Margie Williamson, Judy Greenwood, J.E. Travland, hostesses Laura Teal and Catherine Travland.

Search Entire Site:

Pecos Enterprise
York M. "Smokey" Briggs, Publisher
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.

324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321

Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.

Copyright 1999 by Pecos Enterprise