Daily Newspaper and Travel Guide
for Pecos Country of West Texas
Friday, November 20, 1998
Eagles seek 3rd swim title in Monahans
PECOS, Nov. 20 -- The Pecos Eagle boys will be seeking their
third straight meet title on Saturday, while Pecos' girls
will be looking to see if they can move up on their main
District 4 rival in their home pool, when the Eagles compete
in the Monahans Invitational on Saturday.
Pecos' boys took the Big Spring Invitational back on Oct.
31, then followed it up last week by taking the Pecos
Invitational with 318 points, well ahead of second place
Carlsbad. For Saturday, Eagles' coach Terri Morse said, "I
don't know exactly who is going to be there ... I figure it
will be the same size as our meet or a little smaller."
She said her swimmers will enter "pretty close to what
(events) they swam" at home last week. Changes include the
addition of sophomore Cortney Freemen to a couple of the
boys' `A' relays and moving senior Liz Parent from the girls
100 freestyle to the 500 free.
Freeman missed last week's Pecos Invitational due to
illness. "Courtney is back, but I have a couple of others
out this week with illness, though none of them are in my
Freeman will also swim the 50 and 100 freestyles, while
Kevin Bates, who won those two races last Saturday, will
stay in the 100 free while moving over to the 100 backstroke
for the Loboes' meet.
Parent also won the 100 freestyle last week, while Briar
Prewit took the 500 free for the girls' other first place
finish in the Pecos Invitational. "I put her in that mostly
for points. It's been a while since she's swam the 500 and I
want her to swim it again," said Morse, who also is looking
to improve Pecos' finish in the 50 free.
"Our girls were weak in the 50 free (the Eagles' best finish
last Saturday was 21st place), so I made some changes to see
if we can get some more points in those two events," the
Eagles' coach said.
Monahans won the girls division last week in Pecos and
should be favored again in their own pool, though the Loboes
could be missing some swimmers due to their football playoff
game Saturday afternoon in Amarillo. "They may have some
kids in band. I would guess this would take precedence, but
I don't know," Morse said.
Boys look to repeat, girls to forget Tuesday
PECOS, Nov. 20 -- The Pecos Eagle boys will try to do
tonight what they did on Tuesday night -- win on the road --
when they go to Presidio to face the Blue Devils in the
second of three straight road games to open the 1998-99
Meanwhile, Pecos' girls will try and forget what they did
Tuesday night and start from scratch on Saturday, when they
play their road opener in Stanton against the Buffaloes.
Play opens for the boys with both the freshman and junior
varsity games at 6 p.m., followed by the boys game at 7:30
p.m. The girls will play in the afternoon at Stanton, with
the JV set for a 1:30 p.m. start followed by the varsity
game at 3 p.m.
The Eagles jumped out to a 16-4 lead in their opener at
Monahans on Tuesday and used 70 percent shooting from
3-point range in the first half to take a 15-point lead,
then survived a Loboes' rally in the final period to win,
42-35. Oscar Luna had three of Pecos' six 3-point shots on
the night and led all scorers with 19 points.
Coach Mike Sadler is hoping Pecos can bring their free throw
shooting percentage up to where their 3-point numbers were
on Tuesday. Poor foul shooting cost the Eagles last year
when they outside shooting cooled off in district play, and
on Tuesday Pecos was just 6-for-11 from the line.
"Our free throw shooting was very, very average or below,"
Sadler said. "We have to do a better job of working on that
Foul shots were the least of the girls' problems in their
opener against Odessa High. They were outscored in the final
26 minutes of the game 109-15 and suffered a 118-21 loss,
their worst in 12 years.
Coach Brian Williams said rebounding was the first thing he
would look for improvement in against Stanton, as the
Bronchos got many second- and third-chance baskets in their
"There might be more games like this before we get to
district," Williams said. "But the amount of the scores
don't matter if we improve each game."
D-backs' greenbacks go to Stottlemyre
By RONALD BLUM
AP Sports Writer
NEW YORK, Nov. 20 -- Arizona shook up the free agent market
again, agreeing to a $32 million, four-year contract with
pitcher Todd Stottlemyre, The Associated Press learned.
Stottlemyre, 33, went 9-9 with a 3.51 ERA in 23 starts for
St. Louis before he was traded to Texas on July 31 along
with infielder Royce Clayton for pitcher Darren Oliver and
third baseman Fernando Tatis. He then went 5-4 with a 4.33
ERA in 10 starts for the Rangers.
While Arizona made no announcement, the agreement was
confirmed Thursday by Diamondbacks chief executive officer
Jerry Colangelo, in New York for the NBA negotiations.
``We've agreed to agree,'' Colangelo said. ``We have the
formality of getting the contract completed.''
Stottlemyre, who made $4.9 million this season, was
considered the No. 3 free-agent pitcher available. While the
sides agreed on the money, they did not agree to all the
details of the contract -- which matches the $32 million,
four-year deal Al Leiter got from the New York Mets.
``With Kevin Brown and Randy Johnson, Stottlemyre is right
behind those two in the free-agent market,'' Colangelo said.
Stottlemyre, a right-hander who also negotiated with
Detroit, has a 123-110 career record and a 4.23 ERA. His
combined record this year was 14-13 with a 3.74 ERA.
``He was in Phoenix a few days ago with his agent,''
Colangelo said. ``I think he liked what he saw. It was a
good fit. We think we have the equivalent of another Andy
In their first season, the Diamondbacks went 65-97,
finishing last in the NL West, 33 games behind San Diego.
Arizona's rotation for next season also includes Benes,
Brian Anderson and Omar Daal.
``You add Stottlemyre to it, that strengthens us
considerably,'' Colangelo said.
Arizona also has been involved in negotiations with Johnson
and outfielder Bernie Williams. Colangelo said those talks
``Nothing precludes anything,'' he said. ``We're still
looking at all our options.''
Ned Cantwell, Publisher
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.
324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321
Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.
Copyright 1998 by Pecos Enterprise