Daily Newspaper and Travel Guide for Reeves County, Trans-Pecos, Big Bend of West Texas
Friday, March 6, 1998
Pecos' HR tear continues in 11-7 victory
PECOS, March 6 -- You know the Pecos Eagles are hitting the
ball well when, five games into the 1998 baseball season,
the Eagles' home run total is equal to their number of
doubles, and both figures are past the one dozen mark.
Pecos had a double and four home runs Thursday night in
Kermit, brining each total to 13 for the year, and for the
second time in eight days the Eagles built a nine-run lead
on the Yellowjackets, then survived a sixth inning Kermit
rally to come away with an 11-7 victory.
The win was Pecos' fourth of the season, and tonight,
they'll get a chance to avenge their only loss so far in
1998, when they go to Monahans to take on the Loboes in a 7
Luis Salgado got the Eagles' double Thursday, as part of a
four-run fifth inning, and had his second home run of the
year, as did Oscar Luna. Salgado's homer came in the second,
just after Joseph Contreras hit his first of the season and
first of two on the night.
"Joseph's coming around. He had two homers and hit the ball
hard every time up," Eagles' coach Bubba Williams said.
"Oscar did a good job catching, and we played good defense
behind Eric (Muniz)."
Williams had said he would look at a few pitchers Thursday,
but decided to go the distance with Muniz, who struck out 10
and had only one really bad inning, when he surrendered a
two-run homer to Eric Gallardo and a three-run shot to Jack
Keen in Kermit's five-run sixth, both coming with none out.
"Eric did a good job keeping them off balance. He just got a
little tired at the end," Williams said, though the senior
was able to come back after Keen's homer and retire the
final six batters he faced.
Keen started on the mound for Kermit and went four innings,
allowing Contreras' and Salgado's homers in the second and
two more runs in the third, thanks to a pair of Kermit
errors. The Eagles got another unearned run in the fourth,
allowing Steve Harrison to score, then got to reliever
Nathan Castillo for four runs in the fifth on Salgado's
double, a double-steal of second and home by Salgado and
Moses Martinez, who then scored off a dropped fly ball by
Salgado's double scored Jeff Martinez, but also cost the
Eagles their backup third baseman for two weeks, when he
dislocated his shoulder on the play. "Their trainer put it
back in, but he's going to be sore for a while," Williams
Martinez also dislocated the ball from Gallardo on the play,
allowing Contreras to score. He reached on a single, then
got his third hit of the night in the sixth by homering to
left. It came three batters after a homer by Luna, who had
to leave the game briefly in the second inning after jamming
his fingers. Ricky Herrera was pressed into a emergency
catching role, and Kermit did get a run when he had to throw
Richard Green out at first base on a passed ball third
Outside of Salgado and Luna, Williams went with his reserve
players until the late innings, when he gave several of his
starters a chance to bat. However, the regulars will be back
in the lineup tonight at Monahans, with Jason Abila
scheduled to start on the mound.
Abila no-hit Crane last Friday in a 13-1 win at the Monahans
Sandhills tournament, but had control problems in relief
four days earlier against the Loboes, wild pitching in the
tying and winning runs in the Loboes eight-inning, 9-8
Eagles beaten by Prowlers in home opener
By JON FULBRIGHT
PECOS, March 6 -- The Pecos Eagles got their first look at
a District 4-4A opponent Thursday night at Maxey Park, and
found they still have some work to do after dropping a 22-1
decision to the Fort Stockton Prowlers.
The Eagles' first-ever home game was a non-district matchup
-- they'll begin 4-4A play on March 17 in Fort Stockton --
and one where the Prowlers used 16 hits, 10 walks and eight
Eagle errors to end the game in the fifth inning, under the
"They didn't play very well," Eagles' coach Tammy Perkins
said. "We had some critical mistakes."
Fort Stockton pitcher Deidra Leyva allowed only one hit, a
bloop single by Valerie Gonzales in the fourth inning. It
came following a walk to Heather Uptergrove, who then scored
Pecos' only run of the night on a wild pitch.
By then, the Prowlers had pushed across 13 runs off starter
Alexa Marquez and her sister, Annette.
An error by second baseman Erica Orona on Alexa Fuentez'
lead off grounder got things off to a bad start for Pecos.
Leyva followed with the first of her four hits, a double
just inside the right field line, a spot the Prowlers would
find frequently as the game went on. Christina Robledo found
it two batters later, and Joanna Leach also had a single to
right in Fort Stockton's four-run first inning.
Fort Stockton scored twice more in the second, on a two-out
double by Robledo and a single by Kimberly Lockhart. They
then collected four runs with two away in the third, of RBI
hits by Fuentez and Leyva, and a two-run single by Robledo.
Annette Marquez replaced her sister two batters into the
fourth inning, when Fort Stockton scored three more times.
She allowed four hits in two innings of work, with the
Prowlers getting nine runs in the fifth, eight of them
Aside from Uptergrove and Gonzales reaching base in the
second, Both Marquezes walked with one out in the second but
were stranded, while Annette Marquez walked again in fourth,
but was picked off third after Gonzales was tagged out at
home trying to score on Shirhonda Bell's grounder to
"I felt like we didn't capitalize when we had the chance
with two on in the second and couldn't get them in.
Hopefully, as we get better we will capitalize on the
situation and get the runs in," Walls said.
The loss dropped Pecos to 1-5 on the season with only one
game left, Tuesday at Kermit, before district play opens in
Fort Stockton. "Everybody got to play today and got to see
where they are and what they need to work on, but when
district play comes, I'm going to have to stick with my
first nine," Walls said.
Fort Stockton also won Thursday's JV game, by a 19-1 final
score. Ashley Salcido had an inside-the-park home run for
Pecos' lone score.
FT. STOCKTON PECOS
ab r h bi ab r h bi Al.Funtz c 4 3 2 1 Bafidis s 3 0 0 0
Leyva p 4 4 4 3 Quiroz 2 0 0 0
Carrillo 2b 3 3 1 1 Uptrgrve 1b 1 1 0 0
Robledo ss 4 3 3 4 Gonzles rf 2 0 1 0
Lockhart 1b 4 0 1 2 Al.Mrquz p 0 0 0 0
Leach rf 5 2 2 2 Payne cf 1 0 0 0
Galvan lf 3 4 2 3 An.Mqz cf-p 0 0 0 0
Garrison 3b 2 2 1 2 Salgado lf 1 0 0 0
Ortiz cf 1 0 0 0 Bell ph 1 0 0 0
An.Funtz cf 1 1 0 1 Molinar lf 0 0 0 0
Orona 2b 1 0 0 0
Dmnguz 2b 1 0 0 0
Perkins c 2 0 0 0
Totals 31 22 16 19 Total 15 1 1 0
Ft. Stockton 4 2 4 3 9 --22
Pecos 0 0 0 1 0 --|1
E -- Orona 3, Bafidis 2, Perkins, An. Marquez, Uptergrove.
LOB -- Ft. Stockton 8, Pecos 3. 2B -- Leyva, Robledo, Al.
Fuentez. HR -- Galvan. S -- Ortiz 2, An. Fuentez. SB --
Leyva 2, Garrison, Leach. CS -- An. Marquez.
IP H R ER BB KO
Leyva, W 5 1 1 0 4 6
Al. Marquez, L 3 12 12 7 4 0
An. Marquez 2 4 10 1 6 1
Al. Marquez pitched to two batters in the fourth.
WP -- Al. Marquez, An. Marquez 2, Leyva 2.
PB -- Perkins 2, Al. Fuentez.
Tyson to fight King over lost $100 million
By LARRY NEUMEISTER
Associated Press Writer
NEW YORK, March 6 -- Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike
Tyson claims in a federal lawsuit that he lost $100 million
in the last decade because Don King took advantage of his
``King knew that Tyson had a fundamental inability to read
and understand contracts and fully appreciate the effect of
business transactions on his life,'' said the lawsuit, filed
Thursday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan.
King vehemently denied the allegations.
The lawsuit accused the boxing promoter of finding ways to
carve up Tyson's purse so that little of the fight money
made it to the boxer.
It also suggested that King broke the laws of Florida,
Nevada and Pennsylvania as he made secret deals with Tyson
that allowed him to pocket high percentages of fight purses,
cheating Tyson out of $45 million between 1995 and 1997
In all, the alleged scheme might have cost Tyson more than
$100 million, money the lawsuit sought to recover.
The lawsuit named King and his companies as defendants,
alleging they acted as one entity to enrich King at the
expense of a vulnerable, unsophisticated boxer who could not
``Despite his gross conflicts of interest, King approved
one-sided, unconscionable and oppressive agreements''
between his companies and a boxing industry that wanted to
benefit from the huge value of Tyson's fights, the lawsuit
King vehemently denied the allegations from Mexico City on
``There's no merit to this lawsuit at all,'' he said. ``He
has got every dime that he has coming to him. I don't owe
him 10 cents.''
The promoter suggested that the lawsuit was an attempt to
influence the jury in his upcoming insurance fraud retrial.
``I just feel deeply hurt and saddened that Mike Tyson would
allow himself to be used as a pawn and manipulated,'' King
said. ``He knows that I treated him fairly.''
The lawsuit alleged that King surrounded Tyson with an
entourage of accountants and advisers who were actually
``King puppets acting in the interests of the promoter and
Their true loyalties were allegedly proven when Tyson
recently separated himself from the King camp and a new
accountant asked Tyson's former bookkeeper for Tyson's
``I can't (hand them over) because the files are in cabinets
owned by Don King,'' the lawsuit said the new accountant was
The fraud began almost as soon as King entered Tyson's life
in 1986, when Tyson was being managed by Jimmy Jacobs and
Bill Cayton, the lawsuit said. Jacobs died in 1987 and Tyson
fired Cayton in 1988.
King and his companies then served as Tyson's manager,
confidant, adviser and promoter from 1988 to 1998, directing
and developing every aspect of Tyson's career, the lawsuit
At the time, the lawsuit said, ``Tyson was a young
professional fighter without any formal education, and King
was an experienced boxing promoter and manager with a
veritable army of professional advisers.''
Tyson was required to pay consulting fees to King's wife,
son and son-in-law and other fees to King's daughter, who
was president of the Mike Tyson Fan Club, the lawsuit said.
Tyson also paid for travel expenses incurred by King and
those who traveled with him to meet Tyson as well as the
cost of security, corporate cars, renovations at King's
businesses, unusually large purses to other undercard
fighters promoted by King and fees for King's legal battles,
the lawsuit said.
Tyson is currently banned from boxing until at least July
for biting heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield in the ring.
He has earned an estimated $140 million in six fights since
he was released from an Indiana prison in 1995 after serving
time for rape.
The lawsuit alleged that King even took advantage of that,
visiting him and persuading him to sign contracts when he
knew Tyson had no access to an attorney. The last visit was
five days before his release.
Next week, King is scheduled to go on trial in federal court
in Manhattan on charges that he and Don King Productions
faked a contract with Lloyd's of London insurance company to
collect $350,000 in nonexistent training expenses for a
canceled 1991 bout between Julio Cesar Chavez and Harold
In an earlier trial on the insurance fraud charge that ended
with a deadlocked jury, Chavez, the former World Boxing
Council super lightweight champion, testified that King paid
him only $80,000 to train and never told him about an
During that trial, Tyson sat in the courtroom in a show of
support for King.
Mac McKinnon, Publisher
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.
324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321
Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.
Copyright 1998 by Pecos Enterprise