Archives 87
Archives 95
Archives 96
Archives 97
Archives 98

1987 Tornado Photos
News Photos 1997
News Photos 1998

Area Newspapers


Daily Newspaper and Travel Guide for Reeves County, Trans-Pecos, Big Bend of West Texas


Wednesday, January 14, 1998

Mustangs outrun Eagles, 66-56

PECOS, Jan. 14 -- Shaud Williams doesn't just run well on
grass, he does a pretty good job running around on wood, too.

The Andrews Mustangs' all-state running back was all over
the basketball court Tuesday night, and that helped provide
the Mustangs with their margin of victory in a 66-55 win
over the Pecos Eagles, in the District 4-4A opener for both

Unlike last year's blowout by the Mustangs, the Eagles were
in the game up until the end. Pecos trailed only 50-45 going
into the final period, but were never able to catch the
Mustangs and Williams, who had a game-high 26 points.

"We played well enough to win, but his quickness and hustle
was too much," Eagles' coach Mike Sadler said. "Twice he
went into the stands and once he ran into the scorer's table
making plays and getting the ball to his teammates."

On the Eagles' side, Fernando Navarrette had a big night,
with 16 points on offense and three of Pecos' nine steals on
defense. "Fern had an excellent game, but all of a sudden we
went away from him. That's something we've got to learn, if
somebody's hot you keep going to him, and if they double up,
then go down low or somewhere else."

Jacob Chavez was next in scoring with 15, while Omar
Hinojos and Fabien Adame both had 12 points. It was a step
up for Adame, who had struggled on offense recently, while
Hinojos was seven points below his season average. Pecos'
guards were also shut out on offense, while on a positive
note, the Eagles broke out of a recent free throw slump with
13-for-16 shooting.

"Omar was in foul trouble most of the game. Next time,
we'll just have to do something to get him more involved,"
Sadler said. "He didn't have a good defensive game. He was
letting the post man spot up on the block, and that means
trouble, because they had an easy drop shot from there."

John Kimberlin had 11 points and Waylan Mayfield 17 for the
Mustangs, who are 8-14 on the season but have won four of
their last six games. Pecos saw their five game win streak
ended, and are now 13-8 overall, going into Friday's game at
San Angelo Lake View, 55-53 losers at Fort Stockton on

Andrews also won Tuesday's junior varsity game, 65-40.
Adrian Rayos' 12 points led the Eagles in scoring.

PECOS (56)
Garcia 0 0-0 0; Luna 0 0-0 0; Martinez 0 0-0 0; Navarrette 5
3-4 16; Matta 0 1-1 1; Hinojos 5 2-2 12; Adame 6 0-0 12;
Marquez 0 2-4 2; Chavez 4 5-5 15. Totals 20 13-16 56.
Dillingham 0 0-0 0; Findley 1 0-0 2; Williams 9 7-9 26;
Lopez 2 1-2 5; Dickerson 0 0-0 0; Jackson 1 2-2 5; Mayfield
6 5-7 17; Woods 0 1-2 1; Kimberlin 5 1-1 11. Totals 24 17-23
Pecos 14 11 20 11 --56
Andrews 15 16 19 16 --66
Three-point goals: Pecos 5 (Navarrette 3, Chavez 2), Andrews
1 (Jackson). Fouled out: Pecos Hinojos, Luna. Total fouls:
Pecos 21, Andrews 17.

Second half woes plague Pecos again

PECOS, Jan. 14 -- The game was similar, but this time, it
wasn't as much the inside shots the Pecos Eagles didn't get
in the second half as the chances the Andrews Mustangs did
have during the final two periods Tuesday night.

The Eagles, who saw Sweetwater shut them down inside in the
second half last Friday to break open a tight game, were
down only 27-22 early in the third quarter of their game at
Andrews. But a 3-pointer by Gina Esquivel stopped the
Eagles' momentum, and then post Kayla Kimberlin proved to be
too much for Pecos to handle inside, as the Mustangs
outscored Pecos the rest of the way 34-14 and won by a 61-36
final score.

"We stole the ball a couple of times and had a chance to
get back into it, but we couldn't hit, and then that girl
hit the 3 and it just deflated them," said Eagles' coach
Brian Williams, who also said his team passed up too many
shots in the third period.

"We only took nine shots. If you can take 17 (in the fourth
quarter), you can take more than that in the third," he
said. "I'm baffled. I just think we're coming out with not
enough emotion. We're doing the things we need to do to get
open, but then we're just passing up our shots."

Pecos rallied in the first half from an early deficit,
cutting Andrews' eight point lead to two before the Mustangs
went out to a 27-18 halftime lead. Baskets by Shey Lara and
Marisol Arenivas to open the third period got the margin
back to five, but the Mustangs then scored 11 of the next 15
points after Esquivel's basket to take a 38-26 lead.

Kimberlin wound up with 17 points and Esquivel put in 14
for Andrews, which is alone in first place in the standings
with a 3-0 mark, 15-5 overall.

Penny Armstrong was the lone Eagle in double figures with
13, while overall Pecos went to the foul line 16 times, 14
more than in their loss to Sweetwater. But leading scorer
Lorie Marquez, who had seven points at the half, managed
just two more in the final periods.

"She's out big gun and she had to recognize the fact we
have to have her score," Williams said. "I think sometimes
with Lorie when she gets in foul trouble early she loses her
intensity on offense, because she doesn't want to pick up
another foul."

Andrews also won Tuesday's junior varsity game by a 45-27
final score and the freshman contest, 46-25. Maricela
Arenivas had 13 to lead the JV, and DeeDee Molinar led the
freshmen with eight.

The Eagles will try to get back to .500 in district play on
Friday, when they travel to San Angelo Lake View. The
Maidens, who won a non-district game over the Eagles earlier
this season, won their first 4-4A contest on Tuesday, 50-27
over Fort Stockton.

Balmorhea scores sweep at Sierra Blanca

PECOS, Jan. 14 -- The Balmorhea Bears came up with a sweep
of their road basketball games Tuesday night, as both the
boys and girls scored double-digit wins over the Sierra
Blanca Vaqueros.

Balmorhea's girls won for the third time in four games,
63-47 over Sierra Blanca, and the boys bounced back from a
loss last Tuesday to Valentine, winning by an 85-66 final

Girls coach Ennis Erickson said his team led virtually all
the way, as Cherry Garcia scored 18 points and Brenda
Dutchover 12 for the Bears, who are now 6-8 on the season.

Scorers weren't available for the boys' win, which lifted
Balmorhea to 12-2 on the season, but Erickson said "They had
the lead most of the way and increased it each quarter. It
was about a 17 point lead at the half."

The Bears had been scheduled to play home-and-home games
with Wink next, but those contests have been canceled.
Instead, Balmorhea will go to Dell City Friday night, then
come home next Tuesday for a rematch with Sierra Blanca,
which was originally scheduled for last Friday. That will be
the final game for the Bears before district play begins.

Jones says Seifert still a candidate

IRVING, Texas, Jan. 14 (AP) -- No matter what Barry Switzer
says, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he's considering
former San Francisco 49ers coach George Seifert to be the
next head coach.

In a copyright story today, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram
quoted Jones as saying: ``I certainly have not, from
perspective, ruled out George Seifert. I have not eliminated
him as a candidate.''

Jones also told The Dallas Morning News Tuesday that Seifert
is still under consideration.

``I'm the only who knows if George Seifert is a candidate or
not,'' he told the Dallas newspaper.

Jones is in New York, where he is participating in NFL
television contract talks. His remarks on the coaching
situation came only two days after Switzer said that Jones
had two candidates in mind, but that Seifert wasn't one of

``George Seifert will not be the coach of the Dallas
Cowboys,'' Switzer said Sunday.

Jones said Tuesday: ``I think that was Barry's opinion.''

On Monday, one source at Valley Ranch said: ``Barry may not
be as clued in as he thinks he is.''

During a news conference Friday, when Jones announced
Switzer's resignation, the owner said he would not specify
the names of possible replacements.

Any information not coming from him must be considered
``speculation,'' he said.

It was not clear whether Jones has contacted Seifert.

Seifert is under contract with the 49ers until next month,
but San Francisco team president Carmen Policy has said the
former coach is free to pursue other coaching opportunities.

Seifert could not be reached for comment, the newspaper

Jones says he has made numerous telephone calls regarding
potential coaches even while working on the television

``I have done a lot of work here,'' Jones said.

Jones declined to speculate about any other potential
coaching candidates.

Seifert, who learned the 49ers' proficient offense while
working as defensive coordinator under Bill Walsh with the
49ers from 1983 to 1988, matches some of the qualifications
Jones outlined last week.

He is the 49ers' all-time winningest coach with a 108-35
record -- and his with offensive knowledge, a transition to
Seifert would not seem to generate the second-guessing that
Switzer endured when he was hired.

Seifert, who has been out of coaching since resigning from
the 49ers after the 1996 season, has said he would like to
coach again.

Quarterback Troy Aikman, who would be the player most
affected by the coaching change, has had little to say
publicly about his preferences.

Leigh Steinberg, Aikman's agent, said Aikman's silence is

``Troy in no way wants to pick the coach,'' Steinberg said.
``He clearly wants this to be a Jerry Jones decision ... and
nothing that is catered toward him.''

Switzer resigned after the Cowboys posted a 6-10 season and
missed the playoffs for the first time in the 90s.

Disney pays $9.2 billion for NFL night games

NEW YORK, Jan. 14 (AP) -- When the NFL TV talks ended, ABC
was crowing, Phil Simms was polishing up his resume and the
guards at Black Rock were sporting ``NFL on CBS'' hats.

The league put the final touches Tuesday on a new $17.6
billion, eight-year deal that sent NFL commissioner Paul
Tagliabue to the bank, NBC and Turner Broadcasting to the
bench and CBS back into the game.

The blockbuster package was completed when Disney struck a
stunning $9.2 billion, eight-year contract with the NFL,
keeping ``Monday Night Football'' for ABC and winning the
entire Sunday night cable package for ESPN.

ABC made the dramatic announcement on ``World News
Tonight,'' when a correspondent said: ``ABC gets Monday
night, NBC gets nothing.''

NBC's final broadcast after a 33-year run will be at the
Super Bowl on Jan. 25. That could be the last NFL game for
longtime play-by-play announcer Dick Enberg, who will likely
stay at NBC.

``It hasn't sunk in yet,'' Enberg said Tuesday night.
``After 32 years of doing the NFL, it has become part of my
autumn life. It's hard to imagine not doing it.''

Simms, co-analyst Paul Maguire and most of the network's NFL
team will be looking for work.

``The NFL and NBC had a tremendous long-term relationship
spanning thousands of hours of great football,'' Tagliabue
said. ``It's very difficult to have that end, as it was very
difficult to interrupt a similar relationship with CBS in

``We also enjoyed a special association with Ted Turner and
his talented group of TV professionals,'' he said.

NBC Sports president Dick Ebersol was unavailable for
comment Tuesday.

CBS, which signed a $4 billion, eight-year deal for NBC's
AFC package on Monday, celebrated its return to the NFL by
passing out hats at its Black Rock headquarters in New York.

``To know that we're back in the NFL is a real relief,''
said CBS Sports president Sean McManus, whose network fell
to No. 3 after losing the NFL to Fox four years ago.

After watching the NBA double its money in its TV contract
in November, NFL owners wanted the same result. And they got

Along with the $4.4 billion, eight-year contract signed by
Fox on Monday, the NFL will take in at least $2.2 billion
annually. The previous deal, which expires next month, paid
the league $1.1 billion a year for four years.

The Walt Disney Co., which owns ABC and ESPN, will pay $1.15
billion a year for ``Monday Night Football'' and games on
Sunday night, 137 percent more than ABC, ESPN and TNT paid
for the same games under the last contract.

ABC and the league are expected to move the starting time
for ``Monday Night Football'' to 8 p.m. Eastern time from
its usual 9 p.m. slot.

ABC gets the rights to three Super Bowls. Fox also will show
three Super Bowls and CBS two.

ABC also must decide whether to keep its longtime announcing
team of Al Michaels, Frank Gifford and Dan Dierdorf. Fox
analyst John Madden, who is a free agent, has said he would
consider bolting Fox for whatever network got ``Monday Night

The NFL can reopen the contracts before the 2003 season. If
it doesn't an escalator clause kicks in making the total
value of the contract $18 billion.

TNT, a division of Time Warner Inc.'s Turner Broadcasting
System, has been showing NFL games on Sunday nights for the
first half of the season since 1990.

``In looking at the NFL numbers, we weren't prepared to
change our economic model for TNT or our affiliates,''
Turner Broadcasting said in a statement.

TNT balked when it was asked to pay $295 million to retain
its half of the Sunday night package, a TV industry source
said on the condition he not be identified. TNT had paid
$124 million a year in the previous deal.

This is the second big blow this month to NBC, which is
losing ``Seinfeld'' at the end of the season and could lose

But NBC should not experience the disastrous freefall CBS
had after losing the NFL in 1993. NBC still has a strong
sports lineup, including the NBA, Olympics, baseball, golf
and tennis.

``NBC is probably the strongest network and could probably
survive the loss of the NFL better than any of its
competitors,'' said Neal Pilson, the former president of CBS
Sports who runs a consulting firm.

CBS return to the NFL caps off a four-year plan that began
when it lost the NFC to Fox in 1993. The final plans began
to be put into place in December 1996, shortly after McManus
took over the sports division.

While CBS was interested in all three packages, the AFC was
the most appealing, because it was undervalued in the last
deal. More importantly, CBS owns seven stations in AFC
markets, compared with three for NBC.

``We know better than anyone what it is like to have the NFL
and what it is like not to have the NFL and it is a whole
lot better to have it,'' said Mel Karmazin, chief executive
officer of the CBS Station Group. ``We had a tremendous
advantage over NBC because of the owned and operated
stations. If there is equal value on the network, we get the
advantage of have in the four extra stations.''

CBS also was helped by the timing of the negotiations, which
put the AFC package up first.

``We heard that NBC had an interest in `Monday Night
Football,''' McManus said. ``We knew once the AFC was going
first, that NBC would either have to pass on our bid or pass
on Monday night.''

CBS made its bid to the NFL for the AFC late last week,
McManus said. Late Monday afternoon, NBC passed and CBS
jumped at the opportunity.

Getting back into the NFL gives CBS a chance to promote
shows across its lineup to the crucial young male audience
that left the network after 1993. CBS missed billions of
opportunities to attract NFL fans to other shows after
losing out to Fox.

``Our audience is skewed older and our revenue per eyeballs
is skewed lower than the other networks,'' said Michael
Jordan, chief executive officer of CBS Corp. ``There is no
reason why our audience is older. We believe the NFL will
help us promote our prime-time shows to a different

Search Entire Site:

Pecos Enterprise
Mac McKinnon, Publisher
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.

324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321

Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.

Copyright 1998 by Pecos Enterprise