Colored Rock Map of Texas at I-20 in Pecos, Click for Travel Guide

Pecos Enterprise

Site Map
Pecos Gab

Pecos Country History
Archive 62
Archive 74
Archive 87
1987 Tornado Photos
Rodeo Photos 88
Archive 95
Archive 96
Archive 97
News Photos 1997
Rodeo Photos 97
Archive 98
News Photos 1998
Rodeo Photos 98
Parade Photos 98
Archive 99
Photos 99
Archive 2000
Archive 2001
Archive 2002
Photos 2000
Photos 2001
Photos 2002

Archive 2003

Area Newspapers
Economic Development


Daily Newspaper and Travel Guide
for Pecos Country of West Texas

Friday, May 2, 2003

Western District President Goldwire visits study club

Joyce Goldwire, of Sanderson, President of the Western District of the Western Federation of Women's Clubs, was a special guest of The Modern Study Club recently for their Federation Day activities.

Lena Harpham, Federation Counselor, was in charge of planning the program and the introduction of Mrs. Goldwire. She selected as the thought-quote for the meeting ­ "Working together we can meet any goal we set ­ our long General Federation of Women's Clubs history is proof of that." ­ D. Judith Lutz, GFWC International President.

As she spoke about Federation, President Goldwire told that the General Federation of Women's Clubs is the largest and oldest non-denominational, non-partisan, international service organization of volunteer women in the world.

Goldwire continued telling that GFWC roots can be traced back to 1868 when Jane Cunningham Croly, a professional journalist from New York City, wanted to cover a dinner at an all-male press club honoring British novelist Charles Dickens. Croly was told that women were not welcome. In response, she formed the Sorosis Club for women that same year. In 1890, Mrs. Croly, extended an invitation to women's clubs throughout the country to attend a ratification convention in New York City. Sixty three clubs attended the convention held April 23-25 and it was there that the General Federation of Women's Clubs was formed.

She told of the following GFWC involvements: - 1898, work toward maintenance and improvement of child labor laws; 1899, supported the first juvenile court law; 1904, credited by the American Library Association for establishing 75 percent of the countries public libraries; 1906, nationwide campaign to secure a compulsory school attendance law; 1910, GFWC supported legislation for an eight-hour workday, prison reform, workplace safety and inspection, and workman's compensation. In 1919, GFWC created the Overseas Service Unit, under the direction of the YMCA, and sent 100 young women to Europe to assist wounded soldiers during World War I; 1920, created the Indian Welfare Committee, and in 1922, acquired it's headquarters building in Washington, D. C., thus giving the organization a base for it's national volunteer services.

President Goldwire said that in 1944 through the GFWC "Buy a Bomber" campaign during WWII, state federations sold war bonds worth $154, 459, 132 ­ enough money to purchase 431 planes.

The first emblem design, the flag, and the adoption of a motto in 1957 were talked of , as well as the adoption in 1940 of the red rose as the GFWC flower. In 1961, the "Women's Crusade for Seat Belts" resulted in the installation of more than one million seat belts over the course of one year; in 1965, GFWC was awarded a stamp by the United States Post Office in honor of it's 75 Anniversary; 1997, GFWC renewed it's commitment to libraries and materials to public libraries across the nation and in 2000 GFWC continued its tradition of addressing women's health issues through its new "Women's Health Program," focusing on issues such as pain management and osteoporosis.

In closing, President Goldwire told of the more than seven million volunteer hours of Federated women and expressed special appreciation for the invitation to join The Modern Study Club as their guest for Federation Day activities and to address them concerning Federation.

Mrs. Harpham presented President Goldwire with an original painting as her gift of appreciation for visiting the club. Joyce Morton, president, of The Modern Study Club, painted the painting and donated it as the gift.

President Morton presided during opening ceremonies and the business meeting. The Club Collect was led by Martha Jay and the pledges to the United States flag and the Texas flag were led by Iris Reddick, as those in attendance repeated all in unison.

Paula Fuller, secretary, read the minutes of the previous meeting. Pearl Gustafson, treasurer, presented a statement of club finances.

Margie Williamson, Scholarship Chairman, reported the double application of Allan and John Chappell for competition for the Western District Alma Van Sickle Scholarship 2003, had been mailed to Stacey Webb, Chairman, AVSS, prior to the deadline.

The Annual Spring Convention of WD of TFWC to be held in Monahans was discussed and traveling plans were arranged by club members.

Roll call was answered by giving one's thoughts on the goals for The Modern Study Club.

Joyce Morton and Lena Harpham joined Margie Williamson as hostesses for the meeting.

Search Entire Site:

Pecos Enterprise
York M. "Smokey" Briggs, Publisher
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.

324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321

Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.

Copyright 2003 by Pecos Enterprise