Colored Rock Map of Texas at I-20 in Pecos, Click for Travel Guide

Pecos Enterprise

Site Map
Pecos Gab

Pecos Country History
Archive 62
Archive 74
Archive 87
1987 Tornado Photos
Rodeo Photos 88
Archive 95
Archive 96
Archive 97
News Photos 1997
Rodeo Photos 97
Archive 98
News Photos 1998
Rodeo Photos 98
Parade Photos 98
Archive 99
Photos 99
Archive 2000
Archive 2001
Archive 2002
Photos 2000
Photos 2001
Photos 2002

Archive 2003

Area Newspapers
Economic Development


Daily Newspaper and Travel Guide
for Pecos Country of West Texas

Top Stories

Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Current, ex-chiefs subpoenaed in Midland probe

Staff Writer

PECOS, Wed., Feb. 19, 2003 -- The Town of Pecos City's current and former police chiefs have  been subpoenaed in connection with allegations of prior offenses surround a  former Pecos police officer who was recently terminated as a junior high  school guard in Midland following his arrest on child pornography charges.

According to a story in today's Midland Reporter-Telegram, federal prosecutors said John Peter Marquez, 41, who was arrested on Feb. 11 on a charge of sexual exploitation of a minor, had previously been forced to resign his position with the Pecos Police Department amid allegations he molested two junior high boys.

The Reporter-Telegram said that the testimony was revealed during a federal court hearing in Midland on Tuesday.

Town of Pecos City Police Chief Clay McKinney was not police chief at that time. However, he said this morning, "Right now I'm in a situation where I can't comment about this issue. I've been served a federal subpoena and was advised not to discuss the matter with anyone."

Troy Moore was police chief at the time Marquez was terminated as a police officer. Marquez began his employment with the police department first as a dispatcher and later as a police officer during the 1980s and early 1990s, before Moore took over as police chief.

Marquez is being charged with sexual exploitation of a minor after he allegedly distributed child pornography to an undercover agent and attempted to purchase illicit videos of junior high boys.

McKinney said that Moore had also been served with a federal subpoena in connection with the case. "I know that they did serve him also," he said.

McKinney replaced Moore as Town of Pecos City Police Chief after Moore's retirement in January 1998.

Marquez was terminated from his job with the Pecos PD in 1991. He then went to work with the Texas Youth Commission, and at the time of his arrest last week, was working as a security guard at Goddard Junior High School, on the north side of Midland.

According to prosecutors, Marquez mailed $50 to an undercover Illinois address for two videos, which showed pornographic images of boys between the ages of 10 and 16.

"We contend he has a pattern of behavior and is dangerous with children," Assistant U.S. Attorney Glen Roque-Jackson told the Reporter-Telegram. The U.S. Attorney's Office is asking the court to deny bond.

U.S. Magistrate Stuart Platt said he would take the matter under advisement and is expected to make a decision on the issue of bond sometime today, according to the newspaper.

Incumbents, ex-councilman file to run in elections

Staff Writer

PECOS, Wed., Feb. 19, 2003 -- Three more individuals have signed up to run in the May  3 elections, including two incumbents and a former council member.

Incumbent Frank Sanchez has filed to retain his seat on the Town of Pecos City Council, along with Danny Rodriguez, who had served on the council until being defeated for re-election last year.

Filing opened Monday, for the Town of Pecos City, Pecos-Barstow-Toyah ISD School trustee and Reeves County Hospital District Board elections on May 3.

In the Town of Pecos City elections, three seats will be up for grabs this May. Sanchez, Mayor Pro-Tem Gerald Tellez and councilman Johnny Terrazas currently hold those two-year terms. Sanchez was elected to the council in 2001 after serving as Town of Pecos City Mayor in the 1980s.

The other incumbent to file was David Flores, who is seeking a new three-year term on the Pecos-Barstow-Toyah ISD school board. The positions held by Flores and Steve Valenzuela will be open during the May election for the P-B-T school board.

Precinct 2 representative and current RCH Board president Linda Gholson filed to retain her seat on the board on the first day of filing on Monday. Gholson's seat is one of two up for election this May, the other being the seat in Precinct 4, currently held by Hugh Box.

Deadline to file an application for a place on the ballot is 5 p.m., Wednesday, March 19.

Tuesday, March 4, will be the first day to accept applications to vote by mail, and early voting by personal appearance will be held at the Pecos Community Center, 508 S. Oak St., from April 16-29.

The last day a person may register to vote in the elections is April 3, and the last day to receive applications for early voting ballots to be voted by mail is April 25.

Balmorhea ISD and the city council seats in Balmorhea, Toyah and Barstow will also have positions up for election on May 4.

Balmorhea City Council has three seats that will be open and Balmorhea School Board has two positions currently held by Paul Matta and Tommy Ray Dominguez.

I-20 accidents keep DPS, local EMTs busy

Staff Writer

PECOS, Wed., Feb. 19, 2003 -- The Pecos Emergency Medical Service personnel were called  out this morning in reference to an accident on Interstate 20 at the  Collie Road exit, two miles east of Pecos.

Texas Department of Public Safety Corporal Emmitt Moore said that at this point it was hard to say what actually happened to the driver, whose vehicle crashed into the overpass on the north side of I-20.

"It looks like he ran off the road," Moore said. "I have to speak with him first. There is no evidence of anything harmful before this point."

He added that it looked like the driver hit the guardrail and slid into the overpass' concrete pillar.

"Both passengers were wearing their seat belts and both air bags deployed," Moore said.

Emergency Medical Technicians removed the two occupants of the vehicle and then transported them to Reeves County for treatment of their injuries.

The EMTs were also dispatched to a call yesterday during the noon hour in reference to an accident involving a van at mile marker 27 on I-20, five miles east of Toyah.

According to the DPS report the vehicle with Arizona plates was traveling west on I-20 when it attempted to pass a tractor trailer.

As the driver began to pass the tractor trailer its left front tire blow out causing its front end to hit the 18-wheeler near its left rear tires. After hitting the truck the van then spun off the road.

DPS Trooper David Murphy said that the vehicle did not roll over at any point.

The two occupants of the vehicle were transported to Reeves County Hospital, Murphy said.

Murphy and Trooper Corey Brasher, also of Kermit are investigating the accident.

FAA seeks info on Culberson helicopter crash

PECOS, Wed., Feb. 19, 2003 -- Details were scarce on a helicopter crash that occurred Tuesday afternoon north of Interstate 10 near Kent in Culberson County.

Federal Aviation Administration investigators in Lubbock said this morning that they had not been informed of the accident, which occurred about 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday two miles north of I-10, and about 50 miles west of Pecos. The FAA's Lubbock office is in charge of investigating aviation accidents in the Permian Basin and Davis Mountains area, which includes Culberson County.

The Department of Public Safety office in Van Horn said a trooper from that office had investigated the incident, but had not yet submitted a report on the crash.

Two people were reportedly inside the helicopter when it went down, but no serious injuries were reported.


PECOS, Wed., Feb. 19, 2003 -- High Tuesday 82. Low this morning 54. Forecast for tonight:   Cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.  Lows around 40. Northeast winds 10 to 20 mph. Thursday:  Cloudy with a  60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 60.  East winds 5 to 15 mph. Thursday night:  Cloudy with a 60 percent chance  of showers and thunderstorms. Lows around 40. Friday:  Cloudy with a  40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs 60 to  65. Saturday:  Partly cloudy. Lows 30 to 35. Highs around 70.

Search Entire Site:

Pecos Enterprise
York M. "Smokey" Briggs, Publisher
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.

324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321

Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.

Copyright 2003 by Pecos Enterprise