Colored Rock Map of Texas at I-20 in Pecos, Click for Travel Guide

Pecos Enterprise


Pecos Country History
Archive 62
Archive 74
Archive 87
1987 Tornado Photos
Rodeo Photos 88
Archive 95
Archive 96
Archive 97
News Photos 1997
Rodeo Photos 97
Archive 98
News Photos 1998
Rodeo Photos 98
Parade Photos 98
Archive 99
Photos 99
Archive 2000
Photos 2000

Area Newspapers


Daily Newspaper and Travel Guide
for Pecos Country of West Texas


Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2000 

Eagles sweep Prowlers, Blue Devils

Staff Writer

PECOS, Sept. 13, 2000 -- The second match didn't slip away from the Pecos Eagles this  time as it had seven days ago, as they followed up an opening win  Tuesday night against the Presidio Blue Devils with a two-game victory over the  Fort Stockton Prowlers.

Pecos beat Presidio by 15-4, 15-7 scores Tuesday afternoon, then came back three hours later and scored a 15-7 win over Fort Stockton in their opening match, before pulling out a 17-15 victory in Game 2 Tuesday night.

The results were better than a week ago, when Pecos beat Dell City and won their first game over Van Horn before dropping Games 2 and 3 for their first home loss of the season. However, coach Becky Granado is still hoping her team can improve on their results against the Prowlers, who rallied from a 12-8 deficit to take a 15-14 lead, mainly thanks to Pecos mistakes.

"At least they didn't give it up. At least they continued fighting," she said. "But there's no momentum, no enthusiasm out there. If we could just get into the game a little bit, everything would fall into place."

The Eagles had gone up 12-8 on a Philly Fobbs spike, but then allowed Fort Stockton to score five straight points for a 13-12 lead, with four of the five points coming on unforced errors. Pecos stopped the run, and a dink and a spike by Ashley Salcido that was blocked out of bound by Malia Briars got them to match point, but the Prowlers then broke serve and scored two straight points of their own, when D'Andra Ortega blocked Briars' spike out of bound and Arcie Primera came up with an ace serve.

However, unlike last week, the Eagles avoided a Game 3, breaking serve on a Prowler error, then going up 16-15 on a hit by Salcido and a block of Whitney Louther by Ortega and Michelle Saenz. A spike over the back line by Fort Stockton's Crystal Lopez ended the match.

"We did a better job on defense and we did a much better job passing to the target," said Granado, who freely substituted during both matches, and rarely used any player for the full six-spot rotation.

Pecos had some problems earlier in Game 2 with the Prowlers, who rallied from a 5-0 deficit to take a 6-5 lead before the Eagles came back. In Game 1, Pecos jumped ahead 4-0 and never trailed, though the Prowlers did cut the margin at one point to 9-6 on a block of Salcido by Zoreida Galindo.

Against Presidio the Eagles also had a fairly easy time in Game 1, and trailed only once, at 2-1, in the second game. Fobbs finished off the opening game with a kill and had three more, plus a block, for points in Game 2, while Kalyn Lara and Dee Dee Molinar also had spikes for points in the second game, in which Pecos rolled off 12 straight points after a Martiza Carrasco hit gave the Blue Devils their brief lead.

The win lifted Pecos' season record to 17-5 going into their final two pre-district matches, on Saturday at Plains against Plains and Denver City. District 2-4A play opens next Tuesday at home for the Eagles against defending district champion Clint.

Pecos' junior varsity and freshman teams also won both their matches on Tuesday. The ninth graders defeated Fort Stockton, 15-8, 15-13, and Presidio, 15-2, 15-6, while the JV beat the Prowlers, 15-10, 8-15, 15-4, after a 15-4, 15-1 win over Presidio.

Monahans was the fourth team at Tuesday's match, and while the Eagles and Loboes didn't play, Monahans did face the Prowlers and Blue Devils, losing to Fort Stockton, 15-3, 15-9, while beating Presidio, 14-16, 16-14, 16-14.

Knight wants to find new coaching job

AP Sports Writer

BLOOMINGTON, Ind., Sept. 13, 2000 — The General has no intention of just  fading away. 

Bob Knight, fired after 29 years at Indiana, says he will coach again, and he'll do it the way he always has — his way.

"I've always felt I've got to be me, I can't be something that someone's trying to construct," he said Tuesday night in a live, sometimes contentious interview on ESPN.

"I try to be fair, try to be honest. My philosophy and approach to things is just different than some people and situations," Knight said.

Ousted for a pattern of "unacceptable" behavior that violated a "zero-tolerance" behavior policy, Knight admitted he was surprised by the school's decision. But he said perhaps it was time to move on anyway, and that he still wants to coach "in the worst way."

"I thought I'd stay here till I was done coaching," Knight said. "I haven't retired. I'm an unemployed teacher right now, and I'm looking for a place to teach. There are too many things that I have yet to explore about the game of basketball."

Knight said he thought about leaving Indiana at times, but his love of the basketball team was too strong. He had wanted the Hoosiers, who haven't advanced past the second round of the NCAA tournament since 1994, to become a powerhouse again.

"I kind of hung on to that thought for several years now, four or five years, and probably should've gone somewhere else," the 59-year-old Hall of Fame coach said. "And there would be somebody that was a better fit for this administration and these people than I am. And there's a place for me where there's a better fit for me as a basketball coach."

Knight repeated that he did nothing wrong when he grabbed freshman Kent Harvey by the arm last week to lecture him about manners after the student said, "Hey, what's up, Knight?"

The coach also disputed some of the other reasons university president Myles Brand cited in firing him.

Brand said Knight violated a zero-tolerance policy that had been in place since May. But Knight said he was never told exactly what "zero-tolerance" meant, a claim university officials denied.

Knight said one episode cited by Brand, verbal abuse of a university lawyer, occurred during a meeting about the $30,000 fine levied against him by Brand in May. But Knight said he never used profanity and didn't raise his voice.

Search Entire Site:

Pecos Enterprise
York M. "Smokey" Briggs, Publisher
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.

324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321

Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.

Copyright 2000 by Pecos Enterprise