Colored Rock Map of Texas at I-20 in Pecos, Click for Travel Guide

Pecos Enterprise


Pecos Country History
Archive 62
Archive 74
Archive 87
1987 Tornado Photos
Rodeo Photos 88
Archive 95
Archive 96
Archive 97
News Photos 1997
Rodeo Photos 97
Archive 98
News Photos 1998
Rodeo Photos 98
Parade Photos 98
Archive 99
Photos 99
Archive 2000
Photos 2000

Area Newspapers


Daily Newspaper and Travel Guide
for Pecos Country of West Texas


Thursday, June 29, 2000

Summer tournament held for young golfers

PECOS, June 29, 2000 -- Elementary school-aged golfers completed their four-weeks in the Pecos-Barstow-Toyah summer golf program with a tournament on Wednesday at the Reeves County Golf Course.

There were three girls divisions and four boys divisions during the morning tournament. Boys in grades 5 through 8 and junior high girls played their tournament today.

In the first grade division for the girls, Kelly Lease won a playoff for first over Marissa Tarango, after both girls shot 16s. Ashley Jasso had a 17 and Lauren Elliott a 27. In the second grade division, Talia Castillo shot an 11, Tatum Windham had a 12, Lenora Blanchard shot a 19 and Victoria Carrasco had a 21, while in the third and fourth grade division, Elanor Mason won with a 29 and was followed by Jayme Galindo with a 30, Allison Salcido with a 33 and Ari'Anna Alligood with a 38.

In the first grade division for the boys, Jared Windham finished first, shooting a 14. Matthew Martinez was second with a 20, while Zachary Carrasco and Michael Williams both shot 22s. In the second grade division, Angel Valle shot a 12 to win, while Chris Martinez and John Tarin both shot 19s.

In the third grade division, Richard Dutchover and Jake Varela both shot 23s, and were followed by Mateo Tarango and Noah Munoz, both of whom shot 29s. Lomas Gonzales had a 32, Parker Johnson a 37 and Michael Blanchard shot a 39. In the fourth grade division, Heath Armstrong won with a 25 total, while Nathan Duke shot a 26, Linvel Mosby shot a 30 and Josh Elliott and Philip Williams both shot 31s.

Rocker overshadows Braves-Mets matchup

AP Sports Writer
NEW YORK, June 29, 2000 - Let the rest of New York worry about the circus surrounding a certain Atlanta reliever. The Mets are more concerned about 24 other Braves.

"We can't control the coverage of an individual. We can't worry about that," Mets catcher Mike Piazza said Wednesday on the eve of John Rocker's first trip to New York since his now infamous magazine interview.

"We have to face Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Andruw Jones and Chipper Jones. They have a pretty good ballclub. We can't worry about one guy who might or might not get into the game. If he does, we'll try to score runs off him."

This weekend's Braves-Mets series - their first since last year's thrilling NLCS - would still be big news with first place in the NL East on the line. It just wouldn't be a media circus.

"I don't think anybody has asked any questions about the game," Mets third baseman Robin Ventura said. "It's mostly been about him coming here and we're getting tired of answering it. This is an important series."

But people are more concerned about whether Rocker will ride the No. 7 train to Shea Stadium - probably not - than about whether New York has closed the gap with Atlanta - it remains to be seen.

The Mets tried to maintain that this was a typical series. There was nothing typical about the preparations.

Without Rocker, there wouldn't be 600 police officers at Shea Stadium for a typical Atlanta-New York series - and about a dozen outside the Grand Hyatt hotel awaiting his arrival early Thursday.

There wouldn't be more than 300 media members in town tracking Rocker's every move. There wouldn't be a protective fence and awning over the visitor's bullpen and special rules limiting alcohol sales.

And there wouldn't be all these nagging questions for the players to answer.

"It's something that you just don't want to keep talking about," Atlanta manager Bobby Cox said. "This has been going on too long. I guess everybody's pointing toward New York, and I guess that's when it will end. I don't know. You'd think enough's enough."

Search Entire Site:

Pecos Enterprise
York M. "Smokey" Briggs, Publisher
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.

324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321

Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.

Copyright 2000 by Pecos Enterprise