Colored Rock Map of Texas at I-20 in Pecos, Click for Travel Guide

Pecos Enterprise


Pecos Country History
Archive 62
Archive 74
Archive 87
1987 Tornado Photos
Rodeo Photos 88
Archive 95
Archive 96
Archive 97
News Photos 1997
Rodeo Photos 97
Archive 98
News Photos 1998
Rodeo Photos 98
Parade Photos 98
Archive 99
Photos 99
Archive 2000
Photos 2000

Area Newspapers


Daily Newspaper and Travel Guide
for Pecos Country of West Texas


Thursday, March 23, 2000

Netters hosting Pecos tourney

PECOS, Mar. 23, 2000 -- The Pecos Eagles tennis team will end a long break this weekend by hosting their own tournament, and coach Bernadette Ornelas said the team already has its lineup set for the District 2-4A tournament the first week in April.

The Eagles will host Fort Stockton, Monahans, Greenwood, Kermit, Fort Davis and Wink in the Pecos Invitational, which runs Friday and Saturday at the Pecos High School tennis courts. Ornelas said the Eagles would also have some junior varsity players competing in this weekend's tournament, along with the varsity boys and girls who'll be entered in district competition at San Elizario on April 3-4.

The Eagles, who finished second to Clint in team tennis last fall, will have two of the top three seeds in girls doubles play at district, and Ornelas said, "I think we've got a great shot at girls' singles. We weren't seeded because their girls were playing at higher seeds (in the fall), but I think both our girls have a chance."

Tiffany Jarrett and Kristina Dominguez will compete in singles, while in doubles, the girls will have Teresa Minjarez and Rebecca Wein seeded first at district, while Rachel Pharoah and Brenda Fuentes are seeded third.

"Our No. 1 girls doubles team will get a bye because Clint didn't have any doubles teams," Ornelas said.

"The boys doubles competition will be a litter tough," Ornelas said, with neither of Pecos' teams' seeded going into district play. Orlando Mendoza and Bobby Sotelo will be one of the teams, while Jay Dannelley and Michael Tremble will be the other squad at San Elizario.

The boys also have no seeded players in singles, where Alan Almunia and Jayson Hinojos will play for Pecos.

NFL expected to vote to keep  replay

AP Football Writer
NEW YORK, Mar. 23, 2000 - Despite some glitches during its first season back in use, instant replay is likely to return for the 2000 NFL season.

After the first season of replay since 1991, the league's competition committee voted 6-1 to use the same system - based on coaches' challenges this year. It will be voted on by all 31 teams at the league owners' meetings next week in Palm Beach, Fla., with 24 votes needed for approval.

"It's always a close call," Joe Browne, the NFL's chief spokesman, said in a conference call Wednesday. "Some clubs spoke up against it during the season. The calm of the offseason may have calmed them down some."

Replay votes have been a staple of these meetings the past 15 years.

It was voted in for the 1986 season and voted out after 1991, primarily because of delays it caused. It was reinstated last season after a series of controversial calls in 1998.

It wasn't always a critical success last year.

Several teams always seemed to lose their challenges, notably Tampa Bay, which also had a crucial catch overturned by replay in the final minute of its 11-6 loss to St. Louis in the NFC championship game.

That makes it a question mark again this year.

The only negative vote on the competition committee came from Mike Brown, president of the Cincinnati Bengals, one of three teams to vote against replay last season.

Bob Ferguson, general manager of the Arizona Cardinals voted for replay, even though Arizona owner Bill Bidwill was another of last season's three "no" votes and so did the committee's co-chair, Rich McKay of the Bucs, who expressed some reservations during the season.

One change that needs no vote involves that controversial call in the NFC title game.

Under a new interpretation to be used next season, a ball that hits the ground can be ruled a good catch if the receiver has full possession. Replay showed that Tampa Bay's Bert Emmanuel had possession but under last season's rule, the simple touch to the ground was enough to negate the catch on replay.

Search Entire Site:

Pecos Enterprise
York M. "Smokey" Briggs, Publisher
Division of Buckner News Alliance, Inc.

324 S. Cedar St., Pecos, TX 79772
Phone 915-445-5475, FAX 915-445-4321

Associated Press text, photo, graphic, audio and/or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium.

Copyright 2000 by Pecos Enterprise